10.13.2016

Dylan and the Nobel

I grew up on Dylan. He was my dad's (an early boomer) favorite musician. I think he had every album he made, including bootlegs, along with every book. He spent hours practicing guitar and harmonica, writing Dylan-style songs. He used to tell me that someday people would be studying Dylan lyrics like poetry.

I think the Nobel proves he was right.

I like Dylan too. His early stuff got me interested in and painted my image of the 60's. He helped form my twisted view of life.

Very few can put words together or influence social change as Dylan did. The Nobel is deserved.

Still, this feels like a "Peak Boomer" moment or maybe the realization that the boomer era is about over.

The Boomers started trying to change the world for the good in the early 60's with Dylan leading the way.. civil rights, anti-war protests, sex-drugs-rock-and-roll. They aged gracefully into the not so good.. Reagan, Cocaine, The Bushes, The Clintons, corporate greed. On their way out they stick us with the Dotcom and housing bubbles, an amazingly corrupt and ineffective mix of Big Government, Global corporate power, and crazy, war-ing religions. In the end, I'm not sure the boomers made the world a better place. Different yes, but better?

Anyway, thanks boomers. What could have been...

Dylan's prize seems like the first (more to come?) of the Boomers patting themselves on the back and rewarding their heroes before they all die off.

I can't help thinking about how this election and the next ten years would look like like if we had a new Boomer generation with their Dylan?

 

Bob Dylan Awarded Nobel Prize in Literature - The New York Times:


Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment